Dialectical Behavior Therapist & Skills Trainer
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
President, San Jose DBT
Melinda is the Founder and President of San Jose DBT and CriticalPath Counseling http://www.criticalpathcounseling.com
San Jose DBT was the first full fidelity DBT program in the south Bay area and was founded in January , 2006. San Jose DBT has developed a reputation for excellence in delivering quality Dialectical Behavior Therapy that is faithful to the original treatment developed by Marsha M. Linehan, Ph.D.
Therapists affiliated with San Jose DBT participate in rigorous advanced clinical training in evidence based treatments including Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Radically Open DBT.
Clinical Background and Training:
Melinda is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and has received advanced level intensive training, currently the highest level of training offered as a DBT Therapist and Skills Trainer, from Behavioral Tech, LLC. In addition Melinda has received extensive training and consultation from the Treatment Collaborative in advanced Exposure Therapies as well as extensive training in Anxiety Disorders and Depression from The Center for Cognitive Therapy in Huntington Beach, CA. She is a member of the American Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and is experienced in working with a variety of Emotion Regulation Disorders and develops customized strategies using empirically supported CBT protocols in Individual Psychotherapy and Couples Therapy including:
- Behavioral Activation (for Depression)
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (for Bipolar II and Personality Disorders)
- Exposure Protocols (for anxiety and panic )
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) (for OCD)
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE) ( for PTSD) –
- DBT Skills Parent Training
- Problem Solving Therapy and Strengths Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy(for chronic challenges in daily functioning and building resiliency)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (that utilizes all of the above protocols inside of the DBT treatment)
Melinda also offers consultation to help spouses, parents and other family members develop a treatment strategy for their loved one.
Melinda is an experienced communication trainer with a warm and humorous communication style. She has an extensive Silicon Valley consulting background that includes clients such as Microsoft, NASA, eBAY, Hitachi, Seagate, and many others.
Her pragmatic, no-nonsense style of therapy in San Jose helps clients radically transform their relationships both at work and at home. She has lived and worked in Silicon Valley most of her life and understands the complexities that this unique culture generates. Here is what differentiates her work from other therapists:
- She rapidly identifies complex emotional problems and develop behavioral strategies
- She has real world experience in hiring, succession planning, and employee development
- She is an expert in work-related stress because she works with businesses every day
- She understands that work-life balance feels different for everyone. There is no one size fits all
- She is well connected to Silicon Valley resources for health and wellness
- She teaches skills in problem-solving, communication, emotion regulation and decision making
Amara Brook, Ph.D. is a licensed clinical psychologist (PSY 27165) and is a Cognitive Behavior Therapist and DBT Skills Trainer whose clinical research background and therapy focus on problems in living associated with difficulties in emotion regulation. Dr. Brook co-faciliates DBT Skills Groups at San Jose DBT and offers a wide range of Cognitive Behavior Therapy services for adults and adolescents.
Dr. Brook specializes in teaching DBT skills and has extensive experience working with bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, trauma, ADHD, anxiety disorders, and high functioning autism spectrum disorders in adults.
Dr. Brook received her bachelor’s degree from Harvard University and her Ph.D. from the University of Michigan with advanced clinical training from the California School of Professional Psychology (CSPP).
Dr. Brook has completed numerous advanced trainings in Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Cognitive Behavior Therapy. She has served as Director of Training, DBT Supervisor, and DBT Team Coordinator at Kaiser Santa Clara. She has been an adjunct psychology professor at Santa Clara University, and provided clinical services at Kaiser, VA medical centers, and schools. In addition to her private practice, Dr. Brook is currently an embedded psychologist in Emergency Medicine at Kaiser.
If you wish to make an appointment at San Jose DBT or wish to learn more about our programs and services please call (408) 780-1150 or fill out the contact form below: