Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) for Teens
Is Your Teen suffering? Are they anxious about their friends or school? Do you often wonder, “what happened to my sweet……..?” If this is your situation, we want you to know that DBT can help your child come back to you and your family, to THRIVE! Teen DBT helps worriers, avoiders, fighters and anyone who just feels controlled by their emotions. Ask your teen how they are feeling. Validate and appreciate their pain and suffering. Don’t understand? Ask. Listen. Repeat. Then call us for a free telephone consultation. San Jose DBT is offering DBT for Teens. Call now, 408-893-4032.
San Jose DBT for Teens combines tools and skills to both accept reality as it is and change it.Together your and your teen can get your family back on track toward a brighter future.
DBT for Teens is an adaptation of standard DBT which was created by Marsha Linehan, Ph.D. and then modified by Alec Miller and Jill Rathus to better meet the integrated needs of adolescents and their families. Teens need their families! Teens Love their families! San Jose DBT’s Teen DBT Program brings families together. Our Teen DBT Program targets the following problems:
- Chronic fear and worry
- Problems getting motivated
- Impulsive Behavior
- Poor decision making
- Interpersonal Problems
- Low self worth
- Difficulty communicating with parents
Teen DBT reduces these problems by teaching skills in the following 5 areas:
- Mindfulness: being fully aware of the present reality including early signs of feeling out of control
- Distress Tolerance: Surviving tough situations without beating yourself up or making it worse
- Emotion Regulation: Managing emotions you want to change or that interfere with goals
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Being skillful communicating with others
- Walking the Middle Path: teens and parents learn to see each other’s perspectives and validate each other, reducing conflict
Teen DBT Program structure:
- Weekly Teen DBT Skills training for 24 weeks. Skills Training usually including both teens and parents: Teens and parents learn DBT Skills together to help with the 5 problem areas described above. Teens LOVE to watch their parents learn!
- Weekly individual therapy: Teens work with an individual therapist every week in addition to a skills group to help them investigate and change problem behaviors and build skillful responses to stress, school challenges, and relationship struggles.
- Family therapy: At San Jose DBT, we offer a full range of services including individual therapy and skills training for parents and couples counseling. All sessions are highly individualized and private to help families learn to model effective communication and problem solving for their teen.
- Phone coaching: Our Teen DBT program provides in-between-session telephone coaching for teens and parents to help families generalize the skills they learn in the natural environment.
Teens: learn more about What the heck is DBT?
Learn More about our Comprehensive Adult DBT Program
If you are interested in Teen DBT please call (408) 893-4032 for a free phone consultation.