What is a DBT
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a comprehensive program developed to help people manage strong emotions, thinking patterns, and behaviors that cause misery and distress. DBT works through a combination of Individual Behavior Psychotherapy and participation in DBT Skills Training sessions. Dialectical Behavior Therapy combines cognitive-behavioral therapy and mindfulness approaches to help people understand and change patterns of living that cause suffering and prevent them from achieving their goals and building a quality life. An evidence-based treatment supported by years of published research and over 19 randomized controlled trials, DBT is effective for the problems mentioned below.
- People who find it challenging to manage strong emotions
- Someone who would describe themselves as extremely sensitive
- Someone with chronic instability in relationships, difficulties with intimacy, or fears of abandonment
- Someone who experiences frequent, rapid mood changes
- Someone who has had a diagnosis of both anxiety and depression and has trouble with daily functioning
- Someone who has self-destructive thoughts or actions
DBT has shown in numerous clinical studies to:
- enhance motivation and desire to live more fully in life
- improve emotion management
- improve interpersonal relating and communicating
- decrease self-destructive behaviors
- enhance the ability to manage crisis
Learn more about our San Jose DBT Program
How does Dialectical Behavior Therapy work?
For a list of research to date on dialectical behavior therapy, click here >>
Call (408) 351-8785 for more information or contact us for a free 15-minute telephone consultation.